Pulmonary Rehabilitation Services
- It is the only one of its kind service in South India.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation has evolved on modern scientific principles based on medical research. It is a type of treatment for patients with chronic respiratory problems who suffer from breathlessness, limitation of physical activities, etc. The Pulmonary rehab program is designed to decrease the patient’s symptoms, reduce hospitalization and improve quality of life. Majority of these patients suffer from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorders (COPD)
- Pulmonary rehab is a program that essentially involves exercise training and patient education aimed at various aspects of the disease and its self management.
- Topics covered in the program are education on symptoms of COPD, how to control breathlessness, breathing techniques, home exercise program, diet counseling, how to use medications like inhalers, nebulisers, oxygen, etc.
- The program lasts for 6-8 weeks with 2-3 sessions per week lasting for 1-2 hours.
- Patients are made to exercise on machines imported from Germany such as Upper Limb Treadmill, Lower Limb Treadmill and Whole Body Cycle Exerciser. These are done under supervision of the Pulmonologist. Patients are evaluated to determine their exercise tolerance. After this an exercise program will be prescribed to suit individual requirements.
- Apart from exercise, other components like nutrition, medications and breathing techniques are also evaluated and proper advice given to the patients.
To maintain benefits obtained after finishing the program, patients are expected to continue exercises at home on a regular basis.